Wednesday, February 9, 2011

au clair de la lune



One of my earliest memories would have to be at my Grandparents house in Floral Park, New York on Long Island. 

My Grandfather (Pierre) was born and raised in France, immigrated here when he was 18 years old.  He then met my Grandmother, Elaine on a Blind Date {romantic right?} and they were happily married shortly after.  So precious. 

When I was quite young I use to play in their garage {doesn't sound that interesting but to this day I remember how much FUN it was discovering everything}  They had old furniture and I would make them move the car into the street so I could take said-furniture and play with it in the driveway.  I would set up a "house" and my Grandfather would come out and play with me.  I would sing along to french tunes like Au Clair de la lune, Alouette, and Frere Jacques.  As my mom just pointed out, he was very proud of my language skills at the time.  I'm pretty sure if he was still alive, he would make me practice french with him daily, as it is the hardest for me of all the standard repertoire languages.  Still,  I've been told by my coaches that my French Diction is impeccable.  I would have to thank my Grandfather for that, since he exposed me to the beautiful language years and years before I ever ever dreamt of being an opera singer.

This was a time when things were simpler.  
Where no one had cell phones.
Where I didn't have responsibilities.  
I just needed to be a kid.
It might not seem like much, but this is one of the most vivid memories I have of my dear grandfather.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment